Humidifier vs. DehumidifierThere’s a specific time of the year when you need to use a humidifier and dehumidifier. Here are a few things you should know about these devices: A humidifier releases water vapor into the air to increase the humidity level. There are five types of humidifiers that work in different ways.
- Evaporation – It uses an internal fan to draw air from the space into the unit and saturates it with moisture. Then, the air is blown through a wick filter, causing the water to evaporate and release a mist.
- Central – This type of humidifier is built directly into your HVAC system. It can humidify the whole house at once, which makes it a better option if you want to save money.
- Impeller – It is so known as a cool-mist humidifier. It uses rotating disks that send water through a diff-user and breaks into smaller droplets in a fog-like mist.
- Ultrasonic – It produces an extra fine water mist through high-frequency sound vibrations, which then expelled into the room.
- Steam Vaporizers – It boils water and releases cooled down steam into the space to create moisture.
Benefits of a Humidifier:
- It helps control allergies.
- It can alleviate asthma symptoms.
- It is best to use during the cold months due to dry air.
- It can dehydrate skin.
- It can ease nasal congestion and dry cough.
- It prevents damages to wood furniture.
- Desiccant dehumidifier – It uses a desiccant to absorb water from the air. This device can operate at much lower temperatures or sub-zero conditions.
- Whole house dehumidifier – It’s installed to work with your home’s comfort system, drawing the air through the ductwork.
- Refrigerant dehumidifier – It removes the excess moisture using the same principle with your air conditioning unit. The hot air is drawn into the dehumidifier and moved through the evaporator and condensing coils. Then, it is sent out from the device, producing clean air.
Benefits of a Dehumidifier:
- It is used when the air is warm and humid.
- It prevents mildew and mold growth.
- It helps reduce your cooling costs.
- It eliminates odors and freshens up the house.