Did you know that poor indoor air quality can put you and your family’s health in jeopardy without knowing it? Yes, you heard it right. Airborne contaminants and other harmful particles may be nesting in your home silently. But don’t worry! BV Air Conditioning & Heating is here to help you. Read on to learn these easy ways to achieve a healthy summer IAQ (Indoor Air Quality).
Start With Cleaning Your Home’s AirHere are some ways to clean your home’s air:
- Refrain from keeping your doors and windows open.
- Invest in air cleaners and purifiers.
- Use air conditioning systems with HEPA (High-Efficiency Particulate Air) Filters.
- Get rid of dust mites, pet dander, and other pollutants with your vacuum.
- Take your shoes off at the door.
Keep Your Air Filters and Ductwork CleanedReplace your air filters every three months because they can be easily clogged with dirt, dust, and other debris. If this happens, your cooling system will become inefficient, resulting in poor IAQ and skyrocketing electric bills. Additionally, your duct work is also susceptible to harmful particles such as mold, mildew, and other pollutants that can obstruct airflow, causing health conditions and mechanical problems. Call your local HVAC contractor for effective duct cleaning.
Reducing VOC (Volatile Organic Compounds) ProductsVOC products, such as paints, fuels, and solvents, contain organic chemicals that can lead to adverse health effects. Check the following steps to reduce your exposure to these harmful substances:
- Use natural or eco-friendly products.
- Bring in your air-filtering houseplants such as Bamboo Palm, Lily Turf, and Florist’s Chrysanthemum.
- Keep these VOC products away from children.
- Increase your ventilation.
- Dispose of unused containers properly.